Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Things Chapinas Say


Hola familia!

This week has definitely been an adventure... NO K is not baptized.  We are still working with her.  The situation with her is super complicated.  Her brother is really pushing that she gets baptized before he leaves next week, but we just aren't sure she is ready. I wish  I could describe what it is like working with her, it is just unlike anything I have ever done in my mission.  She has Borderline Personality Disorder.  Okay, she hasn't actually been diagnosed with that.  But I, as the daughter of a shrink, have diagnosed her with that and here in Guatemala that is about as official as it gets. 

Sometimes when we go to visit her she is really positive and willing to listen... Other times she screams at us that she doesn't want us to visit her.... Other times she calls to complain that we ask too much of her and that she doesn't want us to visit her so frequently... Other times she lays down on the floor and literally falls asleep while we teach her about the Plan of Salvation... Other times she tells us that she just spends all her time in lessons praying to God that we will stop talking... Other times she comes running over to us giggling and squealing to tie ribbons in our hair and tell us how great we are....

... But she wants to get baptized, so we are working with it.  We love her.  We may have to pray to love her but we love her.

So there it is in a nutshell with K.  She was supposed to be baptized last Friday, but we didn't feel she was ready.  We are hoping for this weekend, but we will see how it goes.  Pray for us.

Moving right along,

We saw some crazy miracles this week, we had ELEVEN investigators attend church ELEVEN! It was such a crazy miracle.  Among these 11 was a super cute young family that we started teaching this week.  They listened to missionaries about 6 months ago but moved away and never got baptized, but now we have found them here! They are so well prepared to receive the Gospel message.  Wow, being a missionary is incredible.  Pray for G and M!

So that was the good part of Sunday, the terrifying part of Sunday was the part where I had to speak in sacrament meeting.  President H asked me to speak last and to speak for 20 minutes.  Do you know how terrifying it is to stand up and speak in sacrament meeting in a foreign language for 20 minutes??? Scary.  But, I did it.  I spoke about discipleship and being fishers of men... Because come on, missionary work is like my favorite topic. 

That is about it for this week, it has been a good week.  Hard, but good. Hermana Z and I are working hard and we know that The Lord will bless us.  We still love each other... A lot.  She loves me even though I forced her to take a nap on P Day (that woman is a stress case... It was necessary).  We are enjoying the last week of this change together.

To finish up this email I thought I would write you all a list of things that Chapinas say, directly translated into English so you can all understand:

1. What we deal with here as missionaries

2.  Why my English is so terrible.

Here we go....

In response to "how are you?"

"two out of three almost reaching four"

In response to "will you come to church this Sunday?

"Let's see what God says" (this means no)

"I can't assure you because today I am alive.. But tomorrow who knows?!" (this also means no)

"Hate to break it to you my cute little mommy but I already have Jesus in my heart" (this is apostasy, and it also means no)

"I can't say yes or no because sometimes you put it but God just un-puts it." (also means no)

When on a crowded bus:

"Where 2 fit, 5 fit"

Other things that don't make sense in English:

"Don't let the molestation get to you."

"It touches you to make the prayer."

"Lunch fell real bad with me." (this means your companion is going to barf)

Funny story of the week:

Last night Hermana Z and I were running to look for one of our converts when a little, fat chapina grandma came shuffling out of her house and asked us to come teach her about Jesus.  So, naturally we agreed.  She was super worried about finding seats for us to sit on, but eventually found two stools.  Hermana Z sat down on hers and as I was about to sit down on mine she starts screaming

"WAIT! I DONT THINK YOU CAN SIT THERE!"

"okay, why not?"

"Because you are a giant! That stool was made for Guatemalans you are probably going to break it!"

"Hermana, I promise you that it won't break."

So I sat down... And everything was fine. 

Grandma "Wow, that is amazing.  You are probably super heavy."

We couldn't stop laughing... Gotta love Chapinas.

Well, that is about all for this week.  I love you guys! Are you reading Enos? Read it. 

I love you all! Praying for you!!!

All my love,

Hna Wise

No comments:

Post a Comment