Friday, January 2, 2015

Christmas and my New Year's weight loss program

Hola Familia!

Okay, don't be mad.... Yes I was discharged from the hospital and I am back in La G______.... Don't worry.

But let's start with the first half of the week...

Christmas was awesome.  Here in Guatemala they really celebrate more on the 24th than anything.  As a mission we had permission to be out until 12 if we were in the house of the branch president or one of his councilors after 9.  The sisters of La G______ 2 and us met up at the house of Presidente H to hang out and we basically just ate tamales until we thought we were going to explode.  Then at 12 sharp the whole entire country of Guatemala runs outside to blow  up more fireworks than Evanston Wyoming on the fourth of July... It was nuts.  But super fun. The bummer was that our baptism for Christmas day fell through, but we have the faith that God is preparing other miracles for us here.

Then Christmas day I got to talk to you guys! That was cool. You all look great.  It is weird to see snow.

Then, the very next day.... It hit.

I woke up feeling kinda sick, but honestly that is normal here in Guatemala.  I threw up twice before comp study was over so I decided to call Hermana Markham and let her know that Dengue had hit me again (I was running a crazy high fever).  She consulted me not to go out that day but instead to try to get my fever down... I wanted to work but I knew that my body wasn't going to let me.

Things just went from bad to worse.  I was VIOLENTLY sick all day long... Spent most of the day in the bathroom.  The only thing is that our house is two stories, beds and study area upstairs and kitchen downstairs.  It is significantly cooler downstairs so I eventually crawled down the stairs to try to relieve my fever a bit.  I literally couldn't stand up.  I just laid on a wet towel on the bottom of the stairs in and out of consciousness. 

Well, we had visits that needed to happen so Hermana Z left with the other Hermanas and I stayed in the house with a member.... Things just kept getting worse.  I was in a lot of pain, people, and I was burning a fever of 104....

Anyway, finally Hermana Z got home to see that the member who was supposed to be watching me had just been watching YouTube on her phone, meanwhile I had lost the ability to see and was still lying on the floor.

Hermana Z called the nurse and I told her that I needed to go to the hospital.  She agreed.  Only problem is that my area is about four and a half hours from the hospital.  NO ONE in our area with a car was able to take me there.  The assistants jumped in their car and came speeding to La G to save me.

Remember how I said that La G is 4 and a half hours away from the capitol.... They got there in an hour and a half.  Elders drive like crazy men.

Anyway, by the time they got there I had been able to take some medication to take down the symptoms which meant that I had regained my ability to see... So that was good.  We picked the nurse up on the way and checked in to the hospital at 3 AM.

When all was said and done I ended up getting diagnosed with an acute intestinal infection... I lost 7 pounds in 48 hours.

This is my new radical weight loss program... inflamed intestines.  

I ended up staying in the hospital for a day and they finally discharged me and let me go back to work.  I am taking a ton of medicine, but I am going to be okay. 

Just PLEASE pray for my health.  I don't have a good track record here, people. 

But, it was all okay in the end.  Really saw the hand of The Lord taking care of me.

But, yeah... Merry Christmas.

I love you guys.  Try not to worry about me.

Until next week

Sigan adelante

Hermana Wise

No comments:

Post a Comment