Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Some Things Never Change


Wow family,

I wish I could explain to you how incredibly bizarre this week has been.

But first off, I did after all get to watch the First Presidency Christmas Devotional.  Granted, I watched it in Spanish but it was still awesome.  Me, and my converts and Hermana C_____ all were searching for Dad.... WHOOHOO! Right during the first number we all saw you!!!  It was awesome.  They all kept asking:

 "Which one is he? Which one is he???"

To which I answered:  "The tall gringo!" ... Really narrowed it down.

But the devotional was great.  Really helped us feel the Christmas spirit (that, and the fact that it was broadcast on the Day of the Devil so all of the Guatemalans were in the street burning giant statues of Satan made out of straw... Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like almost lighting your neighbors house on fire).

Okay, and on to the strange news...

This week is changes.  The way that changes work in this mission is that Monday morning we get a call from the District Leader informing us if we have changes or not and if we do we both go to a giant change meeting the following Wednesday to find out where we go.  Well... This Sunday night, Hermana C_____ and I received a call from President Markham telling us that we will both be leaving Las D_____....

... Yeah.  Didn't we just open this area?

But, we have been having some difficult stuff going down here with the members and the missionaries (specifically with our branch president).  President decided to try putting in sisters to see if the situation improved, but it hasn't.  So, he decided to pull us both and leave Las D_____ without missionaries for a while "to teach them to appreciate missionary work."

Yeah... Kind of a delicate situation so that is as far as I am going to go with that.  No, we aren't in danger, no we aren't disobedient and being cast out, but yes... we are leaving.  Hermana Conover and I are closing.... AGAIN! Some things never do change.

Moving right along...

Here is a funny story of the week for you all:  Elder Heslington and I happen to be serving in the same zone right now (Elder Heslington as in Jake Hes who I went to high school with).  It's pretty fun to be in the same zone as someone from "the previous life."

Well, this Wednesday during language study we got a call from the zone leaders.  I picked up and it went like this:

"Hey, Hermana Wise we are doing a competition this week as a zone!"

Me:  "ok"

Elder Arrieta:  "Yeah, and we are doing it differently we are doing it companionship against companionship like a bracket."

Me:  "okay, who are we against?"

Elder Arrieta: "Sipacate, Elder Heslington and Elder Richens.  Whoever gets the most new investigators wins."

Game on.

We got 18.  EIGHTEEN NEWS IN A SINGLE DAY!

We killed them.

Yes, I am still a bit competitive.... The mission helps us overcome weakness but I am yet to overcome this one. 

Anyway, that is about all for this week.  I love you guys! Hope all is well.  It's weird to be opening and closing this area in the same transfer but I know that it is what God wants me to do.  We have done what we needed to do here in Las D_____ and someday I will explain to you guys what happened.  But, for now just pray for me wherever I end up going.  My guess? The mountains.

Well, until next week when I write from who knows were!

Love you!

Hermana Wise

No comments:

Post a Comment