Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Let's play.... GUESS THAT ENFERMEDAD!!!!


Hey Family,

Currently I am sitting in a sketchy internet cafe in Guatemala listening to very inappropriate American music.... Sigh.... These people can't even understand it.  I am just sitting here humming hymns softly to myself as I try to write my family.

Anyways.  This past week was absolutely nuts.  President Markham decided to have a mission wide competition to try and find "the perfect district."  It was super fun and every day we had a different "challenge" for example, to look for new investigators, to have lessons with members present, lessons taught in the house of a member, etc.  Well our district is only us and the elders of J.  But.... We are all pathologically competitive.  We slayed the whole mission.  Did we wake up at 3 AM to start working? Maybe.  Did we literally sprint to every appointment? Yes.  Did we interrupt soccer games to teach youth the gospel to find 15 new investigators all at once? Shamelessly.  Did Elder L lie to us all week saying we were losing by 60 points so we would work harder? Yes he did.... And we may never forgive him. 

But we won! So tomorrow we get to eat lunch with President and Hermana Markham.  We are pretty excited. 

Well the day after we won, I woke up with a horrible fever.  Let's play everyone's favorite game.... WHAT ILLNESS DID HERMANA WISE PICK UP IN GUATEMALA?!

This week, for 50 points we have three options:

1. Dengue

2. Bird Flu

3. Chicken Pox

Place your guesses people!

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Ready?

.

.

.

.

.

If you guessed C, Chicken Pox, YOU WIN!!!! That is right people.  I HAVE CHICKEN POX!!!! Like, what the heck?! Isn't that an illness for children?! Didn't I get a vaccine for that?! Didn't I sleep in the same bed as my sister when she had it and I never got sick?! Didn't I get a booster vaccine for that before coming on the mission?

But none of that matters apparently, when you are in Guatemala.  I have Chicken Pox.... It is kinda the worst.  But whatever.  We are teaching a family and after being in the house for 20 minutes the Mom announced to us that all the kids have it.... Sure enough 2 days later I woke up with Chicken Pox.  Kinda peeved. 

But it does make for an interesting door approach:

"Hi, we are representatives of Jesus Christ.  We are here to share a message that will change your life.  But before we start, has everyone in your household already had chicken pox?"

"no"

(takes three giant steps backward)

"What day next week can we visit you?"

The funniest part was that after getting completely destroyed by Chicken Pox, Elder L (the district leader) also woke up with a crazy fever... But he doesn't have Chicken Pox just an intense intestinal infection (been there done that).  We quickly went from the perfect district to the district most likely to get hospitalized. ;)

But aside from being sick, this week has been great.  The S family all got confirmed on Sunday (even though they are all sick too... With Dengue).  It was such a special moment to see them all together join the church.  Now if you ask them what their goals are, they all say THE TEMPLE!!!  I better start saving up... Because I promised that I would be there with them. 

Well, that is about it for this week. 

Love you guys! Make good choices and read the Book of Mormon!!!

I am itchy!!!

Hna Wise

No comments:

Post a Comment