Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I can’t believe I just got stung by a scorpion.... I HAVE HAD THE COOLEST MISSION EVER!


Buenas dias mi familia!

Well it happened, the glory days of being with Hermana H_________ have ended.  Changes were so sad.  The last night of our change, Hermana H__________ and I obediently turned out the lights and prayed right at 10:30.  But then we just sat there in the dark crying for a bit. Finally we pulled ourselves together and climbed into bed. 

Two minutes later I hear a yelp from Hermana H__________´s bed. 

¨Something bad just happened!!! I think there is a scorpion in my bed!!!!¨

Great. 

So we turn on the lights and look.... Sure enough.  It was giant and it stung Hermana H___________´s leg.

So there we where, last night of the change.... Hermana H____________ on the phone with the nurse and me with a broom and pan trying to kill the darn thing without getting stung myself. 

The nurse had never heard of a scorpion sting in this mission so she had no idea what to do. 

You know, pop a Tylenol and call it a night. 

So that´s what we did.  After approximately 30 whacks I killed the darned thing, we prayed that Hermana H__________ wouldn´t die in her sleep, and crawled back into bed. 

As we were falling asleep, Hermana H_________ turns to me and says:

¨I can’t believe I just got stung by a scorpion.... I HAVE HAD THE COOLEST MISSION EVER!¨

Man, I am going to miss that girl

But, I have received Hermana B________.  She is from the Dominican Republic and can´t speak a lick of English.  That´s right folks, if you thought my English was bad before, it is about to get a whole lot worse. 

To make things funnier, the nurse gave me very specific instructions to scorpion-proof the house.  But here is the catch, Hermana B_________ is a hypochondriac.  The nurse explained very clearly that my new companion CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. 

So I have been scorpion proofing the house and pretending not to understand her when she asks me what I am doing. 

But, we are getting by.  Hermana B_________ has been out for 9 months and has spent her time here serving in the coast.  Truthfully, this week has been a little hard.  Hermana B______ is great, but she just isn’t Hermana H___________.  She is used to teaching people who really struggle to understand basic concepts of the Gospel (most people on the Coast can’t even read).  So often when she teaches, it almost comes across as though she is ¨talking down¨ to our investigators. 

Don´t get me wrong, she really is a great missionary.  I know I am going to learn a lot from her.  I just love our converts, members, and investigators so much!!! I imagine this must be what it is like leaving your kids with a baby sitter; you just want them to be safe. 

But little by little we are getting used to how the other one teaches.  

I think my Spanish is improving.... At least I can understand more of what the drunk guys on the street are yelling at me. 

Oh what a blessing.

Speaking of my Spanish capabilities, yesterday we had a Family Home Evening with some of our progressing investigators with the Bishop´s family as well.  I am not entirely sure how it happened, the whole ward showed up.  We probably had about 20 people there.   The plan was to watch the Restoration movie and explain about Joseph Smith.  Unfortunately, the disk wouldn’t play in Spanish. 

Bishop:  ¨That´s ok, we will watch it in English, Hermana Wise will translate it.¨

Perfect...... I have been here for a whopping 4 months.

So there I was, in front of the whole ward, translating word for word the restoration film as we watched it.... BUT I COULD DO IT!!!

Such a miracle.  The gift of tongues is so real.

We have definitely been seeing miracles here.   With a lot of prayers, we will have 3 baptisms this weekend and 4 more before the end of this month. 

We are working hard!

I really do love being a missionary!  I love these people and I LOVE Petapa. 

Praying for you

Hna Wise!

Ps HOW IS ECUADOR, LINCOLN????!!!! I want to hear all about it. 

Happy birthday Holly!!!!

Love you people, don’t be stoops

Sierra, doing battle with the scorpion

And Sierra won!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment