Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Whoops! We went to the volcano


Hey family!

Wow, this week was a blur.  It was great to see you guys on Sunday and talk for a bit! You all look great... Strider looks so clean! It never ceases to amaze me to see a dog from the United States.  This morning I was awaked by a pack of wild Guatemalan street dogs eating our garbage.... Nature.

This week I got to do divisions with Hermana P again.  Holy cow I love that girl.   It has been our desire from before the mission to be companions but doing divisions together is the next best thing.  She called me Thursday night to tell us that we would be doing divisions the following day.  I explained to her that that would be great, but that we were planning on going to a really far away part of our area that we had never visited before.  She was down for the adventure so we made the split in Villa C at 10 the following morning.  We then jumped on a bus headed for "los positos".... Now according to the trusty hand-drawn map that the elders left on a post it, "positos" was pretty close to the heart of our area.... Well, almost an hour later we got off the bus at the foot of a giant volcano....

Yup, we were lost.  But this part of our area is breathtakingly beautiful so we just started knocking.  The houses there are made out of mud, wood and volcanic rock and have never before been knocked by missionaries.  After 3 hours of work, we found NINETEEN new investigators and Hermana P was ready to call President and tell him that we were just going to stay there forever.  But, we worked our way back to the heart of SE (after waiting an hour for a bus) and managed to eat lunch at 4:45.... You know, usual lunch time.

But really, it was incredible.  As I stood in front of a crowded Guatemalan bus next to Hermana Prawitt and began bearing my testimony it hit me.... This really is the best experience I have ever had in my life.  I LOVE the mission.  I love Guatemala.  I am totally living the dream here in SE Barrillas.

Other great news, D got baptized this weekend! WOW what a miracle.  Even better was that he got baptized the same day as stake conference... In El Frutal.  The same stake where I started my mission with Hermana H over a year ago.  I got to see all of the members that I love from Petapa and some of my converts as well.  It was such a tender mercy to be able to shake the hand of my very first mission bishop and to be able to talk to my very first convert. 

Even crazier was talking to D Saturday night before his baptism.  As we were waiting for his baptismal interview, he casually mentioned to me that a year ago he was living in Petapa (my very first area).  Obviously, this made me excited and I started asking him where he lived and if he ever went to church.  He explained that he never went to church there but that is where he started listening to missionaries... This is what he told me:

"Yeah... There was this really skinny gringa chick who was visiting me with a latina... But then one time she came with another skinny gringa who didn't speak any Spanish."

WHAT?! I AM THAT SKINNY GRINGA WHO DIDN'T SPEAK ANY SPANISH!!!!

I taught him a YEAR ago with my trainer, and completely forgot about it.  We had to drop him because he wasn't coming to church, but a year later he got baptized in a completely different area.

God works in mysterious ways... Glad I get to be a part of it. 

In other news, I talked to Hermana C on Sunday... Her Mom is in really bad shape.  She is now confined to a bed and can barely speak.  Please keep praying for their family.  But my hijita is doing just great.  She loves her little trainee and is rocking it out there.  She says her area is tiny, they already knocked all the doors and no one wants anything to do with the Mormons, but she says that they are finding miracles. 

Things are coming along with my new companion. Keep praying for us!

Love you guys!!! Have a great week.

Hermana Wise

No comments:

Post a Comment