Saturday, May 23, 2015

Teaching the Lamanites


Hola Familia

Thanks for sending me all your pictures.  WOW! People look so clean in America.  And white.  Yesterday I saw another gringa in the grocery store and couldn't help but stare.... Like forreals, what on earth are you doing in Guatemala? Being the weird white girl was totally my thing. She caught me staring at her and we had some really awkward eye contact.  Thanks for signing me up for that "How not to Be a Weird RM" class, Dad... Clearly I will be needing it.

OKAY NOW ON TO WHAT I ACTUALLY WANTED TO TALK ABOUT

This week was SO FULL of miracles. Since my hija was here with me we started teaching the family S.  They are some of the most special people I have ever met.  We have had some challenges in teaching them (they live 45 minutes away in a car... In a part of our area where there aren't any buses) but they have always been really positive.  Last week they showed up at church with their two sons... HUGE MIRACLE.  When we went back to visit them we met their 15 year old son, O as well.  We taught him the first lesson, but he told us that he studies every Sunday and will never be able to go to church.  So we just left him a folleto and the invitation to go to church.

Well, Wednesday we went back to visit them.  When we knocked the door, O swung the door open.  He was holding in his hand the folleto we left him (how do you say folleto in English?) [Editor's note:  Follleto is Spanish for pamphlet...we have had this same exchange with Sierra several times over the past 14 months.  Now you can see part of the reason she will need the above-mentioned class at USU this fall!]

Anyway, he told us

"Hermanas! I read this folleto and I prayed to know if this was all really true.  That night I had a dream where I heard the voice of Jesus he showed me both of you and told me that you were going to change my life and that this is all true.  I woke up and walked to my school and changed my schedule so I can study on Tuesdays.  I want to get baptized."

WHAT?

Then we walked into the house and started talking with the parents.  D, the mom told us that she also prayed to know if she should get baptized she then told us

"I just felt something hit me... I was overcome with this good warm feeling.  I know it was the Spirit.  I know that God wants me to do this.  I am going to get baptized too."

Then we asked the dad.  He told us...

"Well, I wanted to ask right.  So I climbed up to the top of that mountain there (pointing at the mountain) and when I was there I prayed and asked God.  It was there that I had a dream where I was walking along this path and it was really dark.  Suddenly there was a fork in the road.  I saw lots of people walking along the bigger path that only lead to darkness.  But then I saw you guys on the other, smaller path.  It was bright there and as I was walking along I was lead to the gates of heaven.... So yeah I want to get baptized too."

WHAT? THESE PEOPLE ARE STRAIGHT UP LAMANITES!

They all came to church last Sunday  ALL FIVE OF THEM.   R, D, O, A and their super cute ten year old M who every time we ask him what the Law of Chasitiy is he confidently replies

"Don't ever drink coffee." (don't worry, we are going to clear that one up)

R and D will be married this Saturday in the chapel and the whole family is going to be baptized this Sunday... WOW! WHAT A MIRACLE: 

I love this family so much.  They are a huge miracle.  Please pray for them, and pray that they won't drink coffee!

I am so grateful that God sent me to this beautiful country to teach the Lamanite people.  It really is incredible to serve here.  Every day is another miracle and I love being a part of it.

In other news, rainy season has officially started here.... And it is crazy.  When it rains here in SE the rain hits you horizontally because the wind is so hard.  I just run around with water up above my knees holding my umbrella sideways as a shield.... It is awesome.  And freezing.  My jacket does absolutely nothing to keep out rain, but it is all good.  Just part of the Guatemalan experience.

Also, I got to call Hna Cortes again this week.  Her mom is in bad shape.  I think that quickly The Lord will call her to the other side.  Please continue praying for the Cortes Family.

Well, that is about it for this week folks.  I love you guys!!! Read your scriptures and I will talk to you next Tuesday.

Also, my inspired question of the week...

What does it mean to you to take upon yourself the name of Christ? 

This is what I have been studying this week.  Send me your respuestas.

LOVE YOU GUYS!

Hna Sabia (Wise)

No comments:

Post a Comment