Thursday, April 23, 2015

Bob Marley the Prophet


Hola Familia,

Forgive the apostasy in the title line.... Allow me to explain myself...

This week we decided to go visit the family who came to church to deal drugs with the elders investigators, you know... Because the Gospel changes lives and what not.  Well, we found their house and taught them lesson 1.  They were a very young couple with dreadlocks both sitting outside their house wearing homemade tee shirts that they drew marijuana leaves on, but they agreed to come to church again and seemed pretty positive so we went ahead and started teaching them.  They even agreed to pray to know if Joseph Smith was a prophet! So, we went ahead and challenged them for baptism.

"Will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority of God?"

Investigator "Uh, what are the requirements, like what do we have to do first?"

Well that is a good question, so we briefly explained the Word of Wisdom... And this was his response.

"Well, here is the thing..... It is great that you guys have this Joseph Smith guy, but we already have a prophet.... His name is Bob Marley.  That is why I keep my hair like this.... I am just into really natural stuff and I really like smoking weed.... That is the pact that I made with God.  So thanks, but I am not really interested."

Well, I had no idea what to do with that, so we just invited them to  church and got right out of there.  But really, it was pretty funny. 

This week was pretty successful, even though we didn't have any investigators  in church we have started building a relationship with the branch here.  Sunday afternoon the second counselor took us to a really cool part of our area to go visit some less active and part member families who live out there (it is like an hour away in a car.... Did I mention that this area is HUGE?).  It was really a positive experience to be able to gain the trust of the members.  The presidency also asked us to speak in church which is another evidence that we are gaining trust.  I spoke about the power of member missionaries.  It was good, and we are starting to see some results. The work here is slow, but good and I have faith that we will find people who progress.

This week in my Book of Mormon study I was reading in Helaman 5 verses 2 through 5.  Really gave me some personal comfort.  We have been working hard here, and maybe we haven't seen a whole lot of outward results, but I know that God is preparing miracles here in SE, and I know that I am changing.  The mission has changed me.  I am becoming exactly who God wants me to be.... Sometimes that means we suffer, but God knows better than we do what it is we need.  I love the mission and I am so grateful for this experience.

I love you people! Thanks for praying for us

Con amor!

Hermana Wise

No comments:

Post a Comment