Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Holy, Holy Week, Batman!


Alright mi familia,

First thing first: So sorry that I didnt write last week.  With transfers, immigration complications, and 16 hour pre field orientation, and "WHEN" you get kidnapped safety briefings... Us newbies didnt get to write.

But I am HERE! I am actually HERE! It actually feels pretty surreal to be out on the mission.  But I love it.

Here is a surprise, my trainer is white.... I know.  Crazy.  Her name is Hermana H______.  She is from Colorado, she is super great.  We are currently serving together in P_______  just outside the city.  Its absolutely crazy here.  But I love it.  The people here are hilarious.  I feel like I can understand a lot of what other people say to me.... I just can’t respond to save my life.  For example, we were out contacting on my very first day and I met a guy who seemed pretty interested in hearing our message.  However, when I asked for his address, he gave me a blank stare.  That’s the thing here, no one knows their address, legal name, or age... kinda complicates things.  So I asked where he lived mas o menos and he responded by chucking his recently finished mango pit as far as he could in the general direction of where he lived while screaming...

"THAT WAY"

Very helpful.

Alright, another surprise... I have seen SO MANY people that I know here.  This past week, I saw Hermana P_______, Elder H_________, and Elder H2_______ and Elder Matt H______ from the East mission.  It’s so weird to see people from before the mission on your mission.

This week was a really interesting week to be born into the mission.  It’s Holy Week here in Guatemala.  Basically, that means that everyone in the universe floods the streets of Guatemala and drinks until they can barely stand up.  Then they wash all the streets and decorate them with different colored sawdust and flower petals until the whole street looks like a giant mural.  Super cool.  After the streets are finished, everyone comes out, dresses up like Jesus, and hauls their giant crosses through the street.  Then, at exactly 6 PM, every family brings their home made Judas Isacriot statue into the street and they light them on fire.... So you know, typical Easter stuff. 

In all seriousness, it is super cool to get to see such a different culture there. 

Our area is really diverse and very large.  Some of the members here live in homes, and others live in, what my District Leader calls, "sheet metal castles." We work hard.  We teach a lot.  We baptize.

Speaking of baptisms, we have 4 this week! My trainer, Hermana H________, has been busting her tail to make this all happen.  She is just great.  One family, and one college aged student will be baptized by Saturday.  Now we are just working hard to find other families that have  been prepared to hear the gospel message.

Speaking of working hard, we work hard in this mission no matter what.  President Brough says that even if you get Dengae, you still work.  Which is great.  Our mission works hard, because we understand the importance of what we are doing.  However, on my second day in the field I made the fatal mistake of eating a sketchy boiled mango thing that one of the members gave to us.  Food poisoning hit Hermana H_______ first, and me shortly thereafter.  She didn’t eat as much of the sketchy mango thing as I did, so she only puked twice.  I on the other hand, threw up mas o menos 10 times that day.  Which, actually, turned out to be a blessing of sorts.  This was how our door approach went that day...

"Hi we are representatives of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, can I throw up in your bathroom right now?"

Hard to argue with a sickly white girl.

Then while I was puking, Hermana H________ would teach them the first lesson #blessings .

You know how the saying goes, mangos are a Bulimics best friend.

In all reality though, the blessings and miracles seen on the mission are incredible.  Yes, this is the hardest thing that I have ever done.  Yes, there have been moments when I wonder what the heck I am doing.  But I know that the Lord provides a way.  I know this is his work.  I know that through Him, I can do all things.

Other things to share,

I got into the honors program at Utah State! Hooray! That means that I have priority registration when that time rolls around.

Also, I think I have a check in the accordion file over the phone. Will you check for that and deposit it for me?

ALSO! I get Skype you guys on the 11th of May! I am SO EXCITED!!! This will be the first time my mission Skypes on a holiday.  As a result, you guys need to get an account and make sure that it works before that time. 

Also, thank you so much for the package! It was SO GREAT! Just so you guys know, it’s a mission rule that I can’t drink anything caffinated.... unfortunately.  But, with the change of mission presidents, the rule could change too.  So I will hold on to it and see.  But genuinely, thank you guys so much!!! It is such a blessing to have a family that supports me in the work. 

I love you guys SO SO SO MUCH! I can’t wait to hear from you next week. 

Love always

Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment