Thursday, February 12, 2015

Well, that was fun while it lasted.....

Hola familia,
Wow, this week has been an emotional rollercoaster.  First off, yes... I have left the coast.  I was sent to P______, a super cool part of our mission that is up in the mountains near (but not on) the coast.  My area is right at the base of a volcano... Life just doesn't get cooler people.  The toilet flushes all on its own in our apartment and we consistently have water.  There are NO bats living in our house and we also don't have a pack of wild dogs that chase us home every night. AND I wear sweaters now... I know.  It is unbelievable.  I am moving up in life, people.
Additionally, there are a lot of people here who are just straight up Lamanites.  A lot of people here wear corte and don't even speak Spanish.  The members have been teaching me a bit of this crazy Mayan dialect but man, Mayan is a hard language to speak.  Did you know that there are 32 different types of native languages here in Guatemala? It's true. 
And, yes I am also training... This is where things get interesting.  I received Hermana C from Nicaragua.  She is 22 years old and got baptized when she was 9, but immediately thereafter she fell away from the church.  Until about a year ago she had never gone, but some sister missionaries found her and slowly started to activate her.  It wasn't until about 6 months ago that she truly started actively coming every week. 
... But she has NEVER read the Book of Mormon.
In addition she has some real scary holes in her knowledge of the Gospel (for example, she doesn't know what the Priesthood is).  So for the past week I have basically dragging her around and trying to help her learn the Gospel every possible second.  But, I eventually tipped off President Markham.  He was pretty shocked.  It is a requirement to read the Book of Mormon before entering the field.  So, he made the call that she needs extra help....
So she is being sent to take the discussions from the former Sister Training Leaders and read the Book of Mormon. 
Yeah, the emergency change will happen tomorrow and she is seriously unhappy about it, but I know that it will be the best for her. 
I have no idea who I will be receiving, but President Markham tells me that it will be someone who has already finished her training.
So, yeah.... That has been rough.  I know that there is nothing more that could have been done but I just feel like a failure.  I was pretty excited (although terrified) to train but I just feel like I didn't do good enough... and now my hija is getting adopted.
So yeah, hard week.  Pray for me, but more than anything pray for Hermana C.  Her mission is going to be the make it or break it experience for her whole activity throughout her life. 
Also, my "mom" went home last week... HERMANA HAYMOND I MISS YOU!!!!!!!! She is going to call you people so you can meet her in real life.
But, as far as miracles go... We baptized a family this weekend.  Literally, we did nothing.  It was all lined up when we got here but still, it was cool.
That is about it for this week, sorry this is so short, I just had to take a while writing President this week. 
I love you people!
Hermana Wise

No comments:

Post a Comment