Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I'll go where you want me to go....


Hola family!

This week has definitively been interesting. 

No.  C______ and her daughters did not get baptized.

What happened was that Tuesday night, C______´s father fell and died unexpectedly.  She was shocked and confused and mostly just hurting.  We got special permission to leave our area and teach her in her sister´s house.  We had a killer Plan of Salvation lesson all planned out and even committed her to come to her baptismal interview (although she was back to telling us about how she wanted to wait to be baptized). 

Saturday she showed up 2 hours late to her interview (but hey, she came!)

Unfortunately, she didn’t pass.  In the midst of all that was happening she drank coffee disqualifying her from being baptized this past Sunday. Meaning that we did not baptize at all this change....

Protocol is that we have to wait 10 days, so she will be getting baptized on the 31st of Agosto... Wish I could be there.

Which brings me to my next point..... CHANGES.

The time has come for me to leave P______.... It´s devastating.  Even though this change has been hard in every aspect imaginable, I love P_______.  I love the ward here.  I love my converts.  P______ will forever be my home and it is hard to leave.  When we received ¨the call¨ I broke down and cried.  I was really hoping for just one change more here in P_______.  My companion cried too, but because she was hoping to leave.  It makes me sad that she hasn’t had the opportunity to see all the great things P______ has to offer.  She will grow to love this area, I know it.

I had to start saying goodbye to people yesterday.... THIS IS THE WORST PART OF MISSIONARY SERVICE.  It is honestly like leaving home all over again.  Except worse, because at least with you people I am comforted by the knowledge that I will see you again.... But my converts? I surely hope so.

But, I trust that wherever I am headed to tomorrow is where I am supposed to be.  I LOVE P______.  There is nothing quite like your first area in the field.  But, I know there are people waiting for me somewhere else who I will love just as much. 

Funny moment of the week:

This week we found a very interesting family to teach.  Anna and Juan live in a little tin house and sell cement blocks and tortillas.  They currently (like almost everyone else in P______) attend an Evangelico church.  Anna is 50, Juan is her third husband.... He is 22..... Try to not dwell on that one too much. Together they have 14 children. 

So there we are sitting in this tin house teaching the first discussion when all of the sudden my companion asks Anna:

¨What are some of the miracles you have seen in your life?¨

Oh no.... Here we go....

Dead serious Anna responds:

¨Well, two years ago I was lying in this very bed.  I was sick.  Super sick.  The devil was in my body.  And...... I died.  I was dead for three years here in this bed.  My eyes were white and my body was cold. My tongue was like this (sticks out tongue). Anyway... I felt my spirit being lifted into the heavens.  I thought of my children and I started screaming NO GOD NO I´M NOT READY NO!!!! When suddenly, my soul fell back into my body.  I was resurrected after being dead for 3 years.  But really only a few moments had passed.  Now here I am today in front of you.¨

...... How are we supposed to respond to THAT?

She is totally getting baptized.

In all seriousness, I am so grateful for this change.  Even though it has been absurdly difficult, I have grown so much.  I honestly can say that I know that through the atonement of Jesus Christ we can not only receive forgiveness from sin, but also strength and comfort in the moments when we need it most. 

I love P______.  I will always love P______. 

I love being a missionary. 

I love you people.

Sigan pilas!

- Hermana Wise


Swollen hand, anyone?

Sierra told us she was nicknamed the "Ogre of Guatemala" in the MTC because she was tall.  Looks like her hand is starting to actually look a little ogre-esque.

Obligatory thumbs-up missionary pose.  Shout out to her Mom, who hates that pose.

In the hospital with her temporary companion, Hermana N, who is a nurse.

Sunburned, no make-up, stunning anyway, and happy as a clam.

Her latest investigator, who just accepted his baptismal challenge.  She could snap him like a twig.
 
Her district.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment